Manual fire engines were used from the early 18th century, up to around 1860 when steam versions took their place.
This particular fire engine, a ‘Merryweather’ from London, dates from around 1840. It was designed to be horse-drawn, and has a lead chamber within its wooden body which holds the water.
Teams of fire fighters would then have to use the wooden poles on the side of the ‘engine’, as hand pumps to pump out the water.
This item is located at Swansea Museum Collections Centre at Landore in the Stores