Passionate about trains, Michael Portillo has been taking to the railway tracks of Britain for the sixth series of Great British Railway Journeys, recently released on DVD.
Armed with his copy George Bradshaw’s famous railway handbook, he retraces four journeys that were first documented in the Victorian monthly guide, witnessing what’s changed and discovering how our love of the railways began.
His travels bring him to Swansea where he explores the life and passion of John Dillwyn Llewellyn, a prominent figure in Victorian society and co-founder of the Royal Institution of South Wales. John Dillwyn Llewellyn was a pioneer of technology, science and photography.
During his visit to Swansea, Portillo looks through Dillwyn Llewellyn’s photograph albums at Swansea Museum before setting off to Penllergare Valley Woods, where he recreated one Dillwyn Llewellyn’s shots of the waterfall.
Besides discovering Dillwyn Llewellyn’s pioneering photography, during Series 6 Portillo also tries his hand at curling, visits the birthplace of golf, gives an old engine a fresh start in Derby, explores London’s Highgate Cemetery, takes a trip to Lindisfarne, learns of the miners who fuelled the Industrial Revolution, explores the treasures of the Bodleian Library… and much more!
The sixth series of Great British Railway Journeys is available now on DVD and we’ve got three sets to give away.
To be in with a chance of winning one of the DVD sets simply answer the question:
What visual art form did John Dillwyn Llewellyn pioneer?
Please enter your answer along with your contact details in the form below.
Competition terms and conditions
1. Competition is open to UK residents only, excluding employees of Swansea Museum.
2. To enter: complete the online entry form on www.swanseamuseum.co.uk including your answer and contact details.
3. Closing date for entries is 12.00 noon Monday 13th June 2016.
4. Winners will be selected at random. Winners will be notified by Friday 16th June 2016 via phone or email.
5. The promoter’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
6. There are three prizes, and a winner will be selected for each prize of one DVD set of Michael Portillo’s Great British Railway Journeys Series 6.
7. The prize is not transferable and there is no cash alternative to the stated prize.
8. By entering the promotion you agree to receive communication regarding this promotion only. No further communication will be made with you once the promotion has closed unless otherwise requested.
9. No purchase necessary. To enter offline with the same chance of winning, send a stamped postcard with correct answer to the question, your name, address, phone number and email address to Portillo’s Railway Journeys Competition, Marketing Services, Cultural Services, City and County of Swansea, Room 153, Guildhall, Swansea, SA1 4PE to arrive no later than 12.00 noon on Monday 13th June 2016.
10. For a list of winners, please send a SAE to: Portillo’s Railway Journeys Competition, Marketing Services, Cultural Services, City and County of Swansea, Room 153, Guildhall, Swansea, SA1 4PE after Friday 17th June 2016.
11. The promoter reserves the right to terminate, amend or extend this promotion in wholly exceptional circumstances outside its control.
12. The promoter acknowledges that this promotion isn’t sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook and Twitter in any way.
13. The promoter is City and County of Swansea, Cultural Services, City and County of Swansea, Room 153, Guildhall, Swansea, SA1 4PE.